Monday, May 11, 2009

Hommage to Gauguin


Copy of Deux Tahitiennes 1899, by Paul Gauguin
oil on wood panel
60 x 80 cm (approx.)
painted in 1984, Verona, Italy

private collection, Aurora, Ontario, Canada

A very early work made back in my days at the Accademia de Belli Arte, in Verona, Italy. I took it upon myself to make this copy of one of my favorite artist's, Paul Gauguin (1848 - 1903), who in the later part of his life settled in Tahiti, in the Polynesian Islands. Something about the subject of this particular painting by the post-impressionist master, that inspired me to make this painting. To bad I could not have done it directly from the original, as being a student in Verona, it was hardly possible to make the journey to visit the Metropolitian Museum of Art in New York City, where it is housed. It is a well known fact that copying master paintings can only help the up and coming art student to get a grip on composition and other qualities that go into making great works of art.

No comments: